Today is my mommy’s birthday. She’ll be the big five oh, and I don’t think she’d mind me telling you because she’s awesome like that. In honor of her birthday, I’m posting a spinach recipes. Because mom always tried to get me to eat it.
I got this recipe from Zorba Paster: On Your Health (something they don’t play in Atlanta… losers).
Spinach Stuffed Shells
- 2 10 oz Packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 15 oz Cottage cheese
- ¾ Cup Grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 Tbs Fennel seeds (I hated the fennel in this, just a warning)
- 2 Tbs Fresh basil (or 2 tsp dried)
- 1 Pinch Nutmeg (I did not use)
- 1 Pinch Red pepper flakes(I did not use)
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced (I did not use)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Cups Marinara sauce (Used Trader Joe’s Mushroom Marinara)
- 24 Jumbo shells, freshly cooked
Dry spinach and transfer to a bowl. Add cottage cheese, ½ cup Parmesan, fennel, basil, nutmeg, red pepper and garlic to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Fill each shell with the spinach and cheese mixture and place in a 9x13x2-inch baking dish, filling side up. Spoon marinara sauce over the shells. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes or until heated through. Dust with parmesan cheese and serve warm!
Makes 6 servings. Only 273 calories per serving!
Nutritional information here.