As I told you in my first vlog, I made Ina Garten’s chocolate cake the day I got sick. I made it into cupcakes instead of a cake, but I was only able to eat one before the flu of 2012 took over. I had to toss the whole tupperware of them since they’d been sitting there for so long. A true tragedy.
For those of you who don’t foresee becoming sick, I suggest making this recipe. The one I did try was heavenly.
- 1 + 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 extra large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot coffee
1. Preheat oven to 350*.
2. Sift flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Mix.
3. In a separate bowl, mix buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla.
4. Add wet to dry in a mixer on slow. Or mix yourself (that’s what I did).
5. Add coffee and stir to just combine. Batter will be delicious.
6. Bake 35-40 minutes in 2 greased, 8-inch rounds. Cool 30 minutes.
- 6 oz of semisweet chocolate (not chips!)
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 1 extra large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 +1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
1. Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Set aside and let cool to room temp.
2. Beat butter in a mixer for 3 minutes. Add egg yolk and vanilla and beat for another 3 minutes.
3. Add sugar and keeeeeeep mixing!
4. Dissolve coffee in 2 tablespoons of hot tap water.
5. Add in coffee and chocolate. Mix till incorporated and frost your cake!
Then devour. Yum.